Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday

Walter & I went to eat at Albasha's last night, which is a Lebanese restaurant about 20 miles from our house and it is soooo good! I could eat there every day!! We've been doing good with eating at home more (partly because no restaurants had electricity for awhile - but still), so we decided to treat ourselves last night. Tomorrow we are starting back on the Atkins diet. I have been on the diet off & on recently, but Walter hasn't tried it in years. He agreed to try it with me now AND we are going to exercise at that gym that we're paying for absolutetly no reason because we haven't been there in months!!! I went to Walmart today and got Atkins friendly foods and there aren't a whole lot, but I've learned to be creative. The only unhealthy item I picked up to make snacking easier for Walter is pork rinds, but otherwise everything we'll be eating will be a healthy mix of grilled foods and salads. I want to lose 15 lbs. and hope to do that as well as keep it off afterwards.

We made the decision today to postpone Walter's 50th birthday party until October 18th. The party was scheduled for next weekend, and our backyard will smell horrible because of all the dead fish in the river for a week or two and that just isn't going to cut it. Once I re-sent the invitation to everyone, my mom emailed me to say that the invitations are going out this week for my step-niece's wedding (to a guy she has been dating 6 months) and the wedding is that same day, so they wont be able to make it. I am fine with my parents not coming because they are recovering alcoholics and there will be a drinking at the party, plus if i'm invited to my step-niece's wedding, now I don't have to go! I barely know her and the drama is out of control in my step-dad's family, so this worked out pretty good, if I do say so myself. My parents want to take us to dinner sometime next week for Walter's birthday, so that will work out just peachy.

Several people asked me to talk more about the Twilight book. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil anything for future readers, but I will give a small review for those who might want to read it. When I bought the book, I had absolutely no idea what it was about, seriously. I saw the pictures of all 4 books on every blog I went to it seemed. I have been bored with the books i've tried to read lately, so I figured I would buy the 1st book and just see what I thought. And also let me say, I would not have bought it if I thought it was about a vampire. Sorry. I would not have. As a social worker/school counselor, i've worked with a rather "odd" teenage girl who is all wrapped up in vampires and books about vampires and from what i've seen they are always dirty, a bit raunchy, unbelieveable, and the readers end up dressing in black and looking a little freakish. I have tried to work with her to keep her from being seen as "odd" for being so into vampires. I actually read the first chapters of Twilight wondering what in the world was going on with Edward, one of the main characters and was totally fascinated with him. Once I got to the part and realized what was going on, it was too late! I was hooked! I fell in love with him AND with the other main character, Bella. The author is such a good writer and the story line is so great that it really doesn't matter! I am the type of person who will watch a movie and just have to stop watching because "this couldn't really happen," or "this is so fake," but this book never made me feel like that. At some point, you realize you are totally wrapped up in the character's lives and that doesn't happen to me very often. And yes, I started the 500 page book Friday morning & finished it Saturday night, so vampires or no vampires, this is such a well thought out, well written, book that you should read it too!!! I think it opened my mind a little bit because if I was so caught up in this book already by the 2nd chapter, then I could keep reading once I saw the word "vampire" and give it a chance. Now, am I going to read the dirty, raunchy vampire books like the teenage girl at school? Oh hellllll no! But this book was so not like that! Nothing dirty, but everything beautiful! And a lot of thought provoking things about the choices that all of the characters have to make. Wow! If everyone could be open to new things and want to understand people just because they love them, what a world this might be!! Just read it!!! I still haven't had anyone ask for my copy, so if anyone wants it, i'll gladly ship it to you for free! I would hope that you would pass it on when you're done, but that's up to you!

And remember how hard we worked to scrub and hose down our dock after the river went down from Hurricane Gustav? Well, Hurricane Ike wants us to do it all again!! The good thing is that the pool isn't looking so green anymore!


Still no word about my son, but I think in this case, no news is good news. While FOX news had a reporter standing in downtown Houston reporting yesterday, I emailed them to ask if they could mention the status of the jails, but never heard anything. I am certain that if there were problems at the jails, we would be hearing about it on the news. Thanks for your prayers for my son! I really appreciate it!!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading some great Grisham books right now (can you believe I've never read them until today?). But when I'm finished with them I'm thinking I'll give that series a try. Great Advice.

Tulsi said...

Is the water part of your backyard? It looks so gorgeous there there. To bad hurricanes are rearranging it often. Your family sounds similar to my side. My brother is the worst. Heaven forbid if I forget something - but he doesn't have to give me a phone call or anything. I figure he may as well always be mad at me. Fun, huh? I reluctantly treat Twilight. I thought if my 14 year old loved it, I wouldn't. But I did. I was a titch disappointed in the last one. The bonding - whatever they call is- was weird to me.

Aunt Julie said...

Lula, who's over at Lulaville, convinced me this summer to start the Twilight series. So many of my students are reading it, I thought I should, too! Interesting, to say the least, and I think I'm hooked! BTW, I'm hosting a Recipe Week on my blog, starting tomorrow. Please stop by and see what's cookin'!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Our pool looks horrible! Can't wait until all this rain is done so we can clean ours. Much Love

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Dawn,

I love Lebanese food, but our nearest Lebanese restaurant is 80 miles away, so it's a treat not enjoyed too often.

I follow the South Beach diet, but Atkins is pretty similar. I like pork rinds! My daughter always says "Yuck, Mom!" when she sees me eating them.

Your place looks so pretty on the river. I'm kind of partial to rivers.

Ike's tail swung through here this morning, with high winds and sheets of rain, and when it was done, there was a lot of debris all over. Been out there raking and raking. At least I'm getting lots of exercise.

Hope your son is okay.

Have a great week!

Hugs,

Renie

Marla said...

i have been so very bad about stopping by to say hello... i have your package all ready to go... hope to get it out on monday if i can find a box... now that the garage is all organized i can't find anything... so glad you missed a full blow... my back is aching for the deck and i hope that joe is OK...

KatBouska said...

I hope your son is ok!!!

And I just got word that Twilight came in for me at the library. I'll be picking up my copy tonight!

Anonymous said...

I am reading "The Chamber" right now. I'm actually kind of a dork. I went onto his website and wrote down everyone of the books he wrote so I could read them all! Sometimes I just get lost in a book and don't enjoy them at all, so it's nice and refreshing when I find an author I love.

Breanne said...

Yes, they would for sure put it onm the news so I bet he is OK. Hope you here from him soon! Well - I guess yall will be scrubbing again. I got hooked on Twilight a couple weeks ago and read them all - so good.

Jenn said...

We had a similar pool. The Mothers Day tornado's took it out this year! Cleaning up after a disaster is always difficult, both physically and mentally. I am so sorry you have to do it twice!

I am reading the last lecture right now. :) for my Psyc Adjustment class.

Jen said...

I've read other vampire novels. My favorite being by Laural K. Hamilton. I no longer read them because yes they do have dirty content. I did enjoy Twilight. I will be reading the 3rd book soon. The story line is great. It's very easy to get along with the characters. The only complaint I have is that it's slow paced. Other then that it's a good read and definatly recommendable.

Dawn said...

You're very kind to pass on your book. Is it a hardback?? I'm too in love with my set to part with them. LOL I love the way they look even.

I can't believe how much clean up you all will have once the water is down. Ugh. Hopefully there won't be anymore this year!!

I do hope you get news from/about your son soon. That has got to be nerve-wracking to say the least.

Oh, you asked about shopping at walgreen's over walmart. Yes, Wal-mart is usually cheaper. The main ways to save are with the coupons from the Walgreen's flier and then they have a savers coupon book in their store you can pick up. They also do register rewards. Then tack on a manufacture's coupon and you have the potential to save a ton. My friend Kathy last week spent like 3 or 4 bucks and saved $66!! Her name is Mamma Cakes on my blog list go check out her post called Walgreen's 101. She explains it a little better. :)

Dawn said...

Oh, and once you are finished with the Twilight saga you need to read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich if you haven't already. They are GREAT.. and so funny!

I'm getting ready to buy the newest one. Book 14!

Dawn said...

Ahh. Okay. Yes, I would be able to pass that book on then. Mine are all hardbacks and just so purty! LOL

I'm sharing my Stephanie Plum books with my mother in law right now. Then my best friend is going to read them. I'm really hoping they make a sitcom someday out of them. LOL

Lula! said...

Oh, your poor dock...I hate Gustav. And Ike. Darn those two!

I've never had Lebanese food...it sounds very interesting. I'm not afraid to try new stuff either, so it will go on my "TO TRY BEFORE I DIE!" list. Ha!

And you know how I feel about Twilight. Are you reading the rest of the series? You MUST! They are truly wonderful. And I never tell people these books are about vampires...'cause they're not. It's a love story...Edward just happens to be a vampire, as his is family...his very loving, close, we-don't-kill-humans family.

Are you gonna go see the movie when it comes out on November 21? I can't wait to see my Edward and Bella on the big screen. (Yes, I said "my." I'm rather protective of these two!)

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hi Dawn, I found my way here via JennLu...
I'm so amazed how you people is the Southland endur and keep on with your lives~despite hurricanes and all that come along with them whether they strike at you or alongside somewhere! You are strong people! I doubt I could live with that threat~hurricanes and tornados....
I am glad you are safe...

Frizzy said...

I hope your backyard recedes and returns to "normal" soon. I would feel the same as you re. the fish and the smell with guests. Poor fishies and EWE!

Your son continues to be in my prayers.

Sometimes Sophia said...

Wow!! What a lot of post-storm work... Hope you hear good news about your son soon.

Britt said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog this morning! My blog and I were having a bit of a tiff .. she decided my BATW post wasn't good enough to be at the top of the page, so she bumped it. I wasn't amused. Thanks for stopping anyway! :o)

Mere said...

Dawn!! I've missed youu! Twilight is ADDICTING!! I love them!! Glad you are recoveriing from the hurricanes. We are too. No school until wednesday... :(

Love, Mere

Blog Stalker said...

To stat with, I read the twilight series after the third book came out. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I too fell in love with the book and all its characters. Very good take on vampires. Anyway, needless to say I couldnt wait till this latest book had came out. Definitely reccoment them to anyone.

I was thinking of your son while watching the coverage of Ike. I think as you do that if there had been problems with the jails that we would have seen coverage. The news would not be able to ignore the drama of that.

Not a fan of the Atkins diet but wish you two luck with it.

Have a great
Day!

Tam said...

LOL LOL I have a small book blog that I have not done much with but I mention my love of Twilight there....LOL LOL LOL YOU are too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Albashas!!yum. I must say that is my favorite place to eat. I do love a good boudin ball from Hill Top though, smile. We must get together one steak night soon... I hate cooking. Good luck to you and Walter on your diet today. The first day is the hardest Im sure. Yall will do great!

Rene said...

I am so glad to hear it sounds like you are getting back to normal! I LOVE the Twilight books!! I'm a big vampire book reader (although I never got weird or started dressing all in black) and I think these are the best I've ever read. I'm going back and re-reading them now. I'm also reading another vampire series that a friend gave me to read written by Nora Roberts (The Circle Trilogy). I'm not usually a Roberts reader because I don't really like those sappy romance novels but I've been pretty surprised by this series. Not the best I've ever read but certainly engaging. I want to read the Charlaine Harris books that the HBO series True Blood is based on but I want to wait until I've watched the series first. I don't want to ruin the story by comparing it to the books.

Rhonda said...

We all love the twilight books too! They're great! We pass them around and the last person to get to them is DYING to know what's going on by the time the first 2 finish them.