Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yes, you know what night it is!

Yes, it's steak night!!! The best thing about the Atkins diet is that I can eat my favorite ribeye steak, sauteed mushrooms and veggies!! We will go whenever Cathy & Brent get home, which hopefully wont be long from now. Walter is stopping on the way home to get his hair cut at a little salon down the street but i'm sure he'll be home before them. I went and got my hair cut this afternoon and it came out cute. I'd take a picture except that I didn't get the girl to blow dry it, so I'll do that this weekend.

I got a poem from JP in the mail today and it really touched me. If you can get past the drug use and subsequent behavior problems, he is a wonderful person, and I have always been able to get past that to see him for who he is, but can't allow that in my house or around Cameron. He is a former "gifted" student, although I never liked that label. He was tested for the program in 2nd grade and we were told that only 1% of the population has an IQ as high as his. So, to see him end up where he is today, in jail, and possibly for the next 40 years is really hard for me. But as I've said, I turned him over to God even before the incident happened that landed him in jail 18 months ago and I feel certain that God is going to give him a second chance. Ok, but here is why I said all that...check out the poem he wrote me. I really had to laugh about the "always on time," because I am, neurotically, always on time. He is that way too, thanks to me, which I guess is a good thing!

I was tagged by Anissa for this meme!
1. Where were you 10 years ago? Just starting to date Walter, partying like a rock star with my friends, working as an office manager.

2. What is on today's To Do List? Drop boys off at school, work, hair cut, steak night, read blogs and new book.

3. What would you do if you were a billionaire? Pay off all my bills, give money to all of our family members, set up savings accounts for our kids, pay for anyone to go to college that wants to go, donate millions to charity, start a shelter for cats.

4. Name 5 places you have lived. Baton Rouge, Louisiana; East Point, Georgia; Murfreesboro, Tennessee; Birmingham, Alabama; City I live in now, Louisiana.

5. Name 3 of your bad habits. Talking too much, worrying too much, snacking too much.

6. What are your favorite snacks? Ice cream, bread pudding, chocolate

Who will you tag for this meme? Anyone who wants to do it!!!!

I've been fighting with Cameron this week about spending an hour each day doing homework or studying. It is always obvious when his dad doesn't stick to the rules because now I get an argument since he isn't making him do it on his week. We agreed at the beginning of the year that we would BOTH (not just ME) require him to work on school work an hour each day after school whether he has homework or not. There is always something to read over or catch up on or even work ahead!! Cameron told me he was NOT going to sit there for an hour if he didn't have homework. I informed him that he WAS and yes, for the record, he did. He pouted the whole time and that's his choice as long as I don't have to see it. I emailed his dad and asked him if he's sticking to our agreement and it could be that missing so many days from the hurricanes just created some laziness with Cameron, but I want to be sure. Cameron told me yesterday that he'll just go live with dad all the time, something you always wait to hear with teenagers when they don't get their way, but i've never heard it before. I told him he'll want to check with dad about changing schools because dad drives him 45 minutes to school every day of his week and 45 minutes home every day of his week. He might not appreciate that too much and Cameron isn't going to switch schools. So yeah. Call dad!

Alrighty then, I'm outta here!! Have a great night!

23 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Steak nite? Steak Nite?? STEAK NITE!?!?! Count me in!!!

Anonymous said...

I love eating out too. And lately it's just been getting more and more expensive! But I hate to cook so we end up eating out probably more than we should!

You had mentioned in your post that you wanted to start a shelter for cats-- I told my husband that when I die, I want some of our money to go to the ASPCA. He thinks it's insane but it's always a wish I've had!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Oh that sounds so good! We just had pizza and they messed my order up of course. Have fun and don't eat to much. Thanks for playing along. Much Love

BBB said...

That poem is precious.

You can stop making me cry with your posts now....

Jenn said...

I read this post after we had grilled ham and cheese sand's with tomatoe soup. But it tasted great and was quick.

Sarcastic mom, don't really work for you, your pretty and smart and nice and I am sure Cameron saw through that!

Great poem from JP.

Michelle said...

You will have to take a picture of your new hairdo. You're the second friend today who was getting their hair done that I know of.

What a great poem from JP. Those words show that he has learned a lot from you. Kudos to you for being a great Mom, Sista! I know you've done your best for sure. I still pray that things turn out for the best for him.

Frustrating about that mom at school I know. Hopefully things will get better tomorrow with that situation.

Me being new to the blogging world, doesn't know what a meme is just yet. I guess I just copy this into my blog with my answers?

Sorry you were having a rough afternoon with Cameron. Hopefully he'll see things are better like they are now and apply himself more. Caleb did alot of that pouting stuff last year with homework and now Claudia is starting to do it on occasion. These kids! What'll we do with them? lol

Hope you have a good night blogging and reading.

Lesley said...

Ok, you know JP has ALWAYS had a special place in my heart and thanks to the poem he wrote, I am now all teary eyed!! He really is a really good, sweet young man under all of bad choices he has made. I wish more people could see what we see :-) I can't wait to see him!!!

Yummmmmyyyyyy for steak nite!! Steak is one of my most favorite things to eat, and what can be wrong with a diet where you can eat as much steak as you want, as often as you want?!?!?!?!

Good for you for sticking to the rules and making Cameron do his entire hour of homework/studying! We have been having some issues about school with Lane too. To say that it frustrates me beyond belief is a HUGE understatement?!?! Did you get a response from Neil yet??? I certainly doubt Cameron will actually go live there... he is probably just saying that to get a reaction. Or I've read that it is common for kids with 2 homes to say that in order to get what they want at the moment. Good thing you are too smart of a sista/mom to fall for that, but I know it has to hurt you to hear him say that :-( Darn kids!! LOL

tiki_lady said...

ok, i am blog surfing and I wanted to say I am thinking about the atkins diet just to kick start myself. How long have you been on it> I just tire of eggs. bleh.

tiki_lady said...

sorry, if you click on my name to check my blog out. solomonsurprises is the one to go to!

Domestic Executive said...

Thanks for visiting my blog on the BATW tour to New Zealand. Glad you enjoyed the visit.

If you get sick of Atkins - which I did - try www.csiro.au.

Enjoy the steak!

Rhonda said...

Ugh, sorry about the Cameron issue. Teenagers are SO wonderful but SO difficult sometimes. I feel your pain.

What an awesome poem. I don't know what actions got JP in jail but it sounds like he has a great heart. You did somethin' right!

Karen said...

The poem from JP is so sweet. Every mother should have something so heart felt from her son.

Hope you enjoyed your steak!

Lula! said...

Oh, Dawn...that poem...

Are you going to frame it? You must frame it! Absolutely. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing all of that with us!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Forgot to tell you -- You made it on my top five -- Congrats on having a buzzin' blog! Much Love

Tam said...

HOPE you had a good steak last NIGHT!!! YUM ....I did pasta. MY downfall..Happy Friday!

Renie Burghardt said...

I have the exact same bad habits as you! I enjoyed your meme.

The poem from your son is sweet and so touching.

I bet steak night was great. Ribeye
and mushrooms and veggies, oh yum!

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Renie

Kelley said...

I hope you guys enjoyed steak night! It sounds like things at school are busy, I bet it's hard getting back into the swing of things.

Miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

That poem is so touching, I love it and I know you will always cherish it. I am really praying for good things for JP and hope that he does get a second chance. Sometimes the crap has to hit the fan before we wake up and realize what we have in life and then turn it around. I think God has got his attention now!

And when I read the title of your blog, before I even clicked on it, I shouted out "Steak Night!"!!!

Nik said...

That poem is priceless. I know you'll hold that close to your heart always.

Steak night - mmmmmmmm yummmy.

Good luck with homework - I used to have to fight Cowboy for it - but now that I'm his teacher too - we went head to head and I won. Itchy only has small homework (1st grade) now and he knows he has to finish before he can do anything else.

Anonymous said...

We're having steak too but no yummy mushrooms. What a great idea !

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful evening -and how nice of you to share that poem from JP with us.

Leslie said...

Steak night? My FAV! yummy. JP's poem was just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. ;)

Briana said...

What a nice thing for him to write to you. Obviously you mean a lot to him. That has to give you warm fuzzies. I want steak too - count me in!