Sunday, August 31, 2008

Update from Louisiana

So, it looks like the storm is moving faster than we originally thought and our scary bad weather will be here earlier than 8pm tomorrow, probably more like noon or 2pm. It also looks like the storm may be moving a little west of us, so that is good for us, but not so good if you are further west. If you know me, you'd know that I am pretty neurotic and have a high anxiety level. Walter has been talking me through what the storm will be like and what to do if i'm really scared, like I was during the worst of Katrina. He said earlier that he didn't want me to stress Cameron out (or his 2 friends, Bryce & Bradley who are riding the storm out here), and I asked what should I do/say if I am really scared then. He said, the safest place is in the pantry (which is built under our staircase), so to go in there. I said, how are we all going to fit in there? He said, no, not everyone, just YOU! The kids thought that was pretty funny.

We went to Cathy & Brent's tonight and drank some worm buckets (it's a drink we have out here on the river a lot, incase you're wondering). Cathy's mom is staying with them during the storm, so we got to meet & visit with her. One of the good things (if there are any) about hurricanes is the bonding that goes on between neighbors and even strangers. People really pull together, invite family/friends who have to evacuate to stay in their homes, help out before and after the storm with whatever people need. Cameron's friend, Bradley, lives in a mobile home, so I was happy for him to stay here. His grandparents don't think the storm will be bad, so they stayed in the mobile home. That is a mistake.

I also just got an email alert from our state's notification system that there is a tornado warning in our parish. Yikes! I'm sure there is a lot more of that to come!!

15 comments:

Sometimes Sophia said...

I don't know, but you're either awfully brave or crazy. I'm hoping and praying for you and all your Louisiana neighbors.

United Studies said...

We will be praying for you and everyone else down there in the Gulf Coast region.

Stay safe!

Julie said...

hi. i'm here via blog around the world. i hope you and your family stay safe and that gustav passes quickly.

taratoons said...

Dawn - I'll be praying for you and those around you who are in the path of the storm. Stay safe & thank you for keeping us updated. I can't imagine what you are going through!

Bug said...

Just stopping by from BATW to let you know we are thinking of you all up here in Chicago. Stay safe in that crazy weather.

BBB said...

Gosh hon... just come up here and stay with me... okay???

Please be safe and know I'm praying.

Leslie said...

Hang in there sweetie! I'll be praying for you. Stay safe!

Briana said...

I'll be praying for you! I hope you stay safe!

Unknown said...

Hey sista! Looks like Gustav is going right in on y'all! Yikes!

I had to laugh at what Walter said about the pantry! LOL I'm already prepared to hide in the kids' bathroom because it's the center of the house.

Keep us posted if you can!

Heathahlee said...

It's hard not to think of y'all in Louisiana here in North Mississippi...we've seen tons of LA tags and it reminds us to pray for y'all!

Brian and Staci said...

Glad to hear it might be a little west of you, not so good for those people though. Still prayin though!

Lady Dorothy said...

"Its not brave if you aren't scared." (From both Ben Affleck and Gwenyth Paltrow in "Bounce".)

Stay safe, brave girl!

Frizzy said...

I think you need to add the video/song Should I Stay or Should I Go by the Clash to your blog for now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ag8J2NMYmc

It's just too fitting for the situation you're in. I keep hearing it over and over in my head when I read your words. No matter what you decide to do, Stay safe and leave if/when you need to. You're in our prayers.

maryanne420 said...

i'm praying for you and your family. God bless you all.

Laura said...

Too funny about the pantry! I can't believe Bradley's grandparents are staying in a mobile home!! You should have invited them over for the "worms" and talked them out of it!