Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Counting down!!!

I am in full count down mode!! I have 3 more days of work then I am off until January 5th and I can't wait!!! My job is really cool, but the days off have to be the coolest thing ever!! It's been difficult working with the kids this week because they are all taking mid-terms and doing Christmas things, so I've been seeing them when I can. I bought some cute little Christmas bookmarks for the kids and have been having fun giving those out.

Speaking of midterms, I found out today that Cameron doesn't think he has to do his work in his speech class because it is not a core class. He decided not to do a mid-term paper that counts for a double grade and now will have an F in the class! Yow! He's never made an F on a report card before, so that is something new to deal with, and not because he isn't capable of doing the work, but because he chose not to do FIVE assignments, plus a double grade midterm exam. I talked to his dad tonight, but he is not likely to give Cameron any consequences. It makes it really hard for me, since I have him every other week, but he will be facing some consequences when he comes home.

I went to one of my schools to help with "literacy night" tonight and it was a lot of fun. Most of my schools are in a very impoverished city and it is awesome to see the school and the parents team up together and do something to help. I wasn't expecting to go since nobody mentioned it, but my supervisor called me around 4 (after I got home, put on my warm ups and slippers) and asked if I'd go with her, so yeah. I am glad I went, but it wasn't easy to get myself there!!

We had a crazy thing happen in the neighborhood this week. Walter is the president of the homeowners association, so we get calls about all the neighborhood happenings. Someone called yesterday to say that someone had vandalized one of the security cameras at the front of our subdivision. We have 4, but only 1 is really low enough to notice. So, we went to check the video on the cameras and could see the guy walk up with a GIANT stick and just smash the camera!! It was at 5:30am when it was still pretty dark, but you could see the guy pretty clearly. We called the sheriff's department last night and an officer came out to file a report. We found out today that a neighbor who watched the video of the incident recognized her brother who was drunk and angry when he left her house because she took his car keys away! She is planning to pay for the camera and doesn't want us to report him to the police. Can we say ENABLING??

And yeah, I had some good news today!!! If you've been coming here awhile, I found a church who was offering to provide free braces to a needy child last summer and referred one of my students, who was chosen! His teeth were really bad and he was teased a lot, and now, his teeth are wonderful and not even an issue anymore. Well, a teacher talked to me about a student at a different school who has really bad teeth, so I emailed the church again last week. I got an email today saying an anonymous family had asked them to find a needy child to provide braces for!!!! I just have to get the mom to agree and to make sure they have transportation there. How cool is that?

And thank you for all the comments yesterday! I wasn't ranting about those of you who leave comments sometimes and sometimes don't. It is more about those who read blogs and never comment. I want to know you are here, so please leave me some love so I can visit your blog too!

50 random things about you! If you opened this, FILL IT OUT! Learn 50 things about your friends, and let them learn 50 things about you!

1. Do you like cheese? Yes

2. Have you ever smoked? Yes and thank God I quit about 8 years ago

3. Do you own a gun? Yes, a 357 magnum - I got it when the Baton Rouge serial killer killed a girl on my street - and yes, I can use it

4. Do you like listening to Christmas music? Not too much

5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? No

6. What do you think of hot dogs? Yuck!

7. Favorite Christmas song? Blue Christmas

8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Diet Dr. Pepper

9. Can you do push ups? No

10. Who is your favorite Grey's Anatomy Character? I've never seen it

11. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? My wedding rings

12. Favorite hobby? CoMpUtEr!!

13. Do you eat "exotic" foods? No

14. Do you have A.D.D.? No

15. What one trait do you hate about yourself? Impulsive

16. Middle Name? Cecile

17. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment? I'm tired, there's a mosquito inside, I love my white zinfandel

18. Name 3 things you bought yesterday? Sensation salad, Christmas present, Christmas present

19. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink: Diet Dr. Pepper, Wine, Coke Zero

20. Current worry right now? JP

21. Current hate? Hate is a very strong word

22. Favorite place to be? Pensacola, FL

23. How did you bring in the New Year? Home with Walter

24. Where would you like to go? Cozumel, Mexico

25. Name three people who will complete this? Don't know!

26. Do you own flip flops? Yes, a pair to match each bathing suit

27. What shirt are you wearing? Jammy shirt

28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? No

29. Can you whistle? Not really

30. Favorite color? Blue

31. Would you be a pirate? No

32. What songs do you sing in the shower? Only take baths

33. Favorite girl's name? Katelyn

34. Favorite boy's name? Cameron

35. What's in your pocket right now? No pockets

36. Last thing that made you laugh? Text from Christine

37. Best bed sheets as a child? Flowers

38. Worst injury you've ever had? Broken arm

39. Do you love where you live? Yes!!!

40. How many TVs do you have in your house? 4

41. Who is your loudest friend? Dana

42. How many dogs do you have? ZERO

43. Does someone have a crush on you? My husband does

44. Hmmm.. there's not a 44.

45. What is your favorite book? Anything by Danielle Steele

46. What is your favorite candy? Hershey bar with almonds

47. Do you know all the words to the Fresh Prince theme song? Yes!!

48. What song do you want played at your funeral? High by James Blunt

49. What were you doing 12 AM last night? Sleeping

50. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? THREE MORE DAYS!!!!

Photobucket

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice to have days off. I am off from swimming lessons until the fifth. To bad still have to get up to get Jesse to school for the next few days.

Tracy P. said...

Happy vacation! I always loved the time away when I was a teacher--just long enough to get a true fresh start.

Nonnas News said...

Enjoy your days off! I know you will! That is so great about the children receiving braces. I know that will make them feel better about themselves. Its nice to see generoisity,love and caring. Sorry to hear about Cameron. He will wish one day he had put forth more effort. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Dawn,

I know you will enjoy your time off.

What a nice thing that church, offering free braces, did. It certainly can make such a huge difference in some teen's life. That's the kind of gift that changes lives for the better. Love to hear about those.

Christmas is almost here. Bet you can't wait. I can't.

Have a great rest of the week.

Holiday hugs,

Renie

Mere said...

I'm off like you too!! WOO!! It's so nice! That's frusterating with Cameron...especially him being at his dad's and his dad not doing anything. grrr...Still praying for JP!

Love, Mere

P.S. I had every intention of going back to WW a few weeks ago or so and it never happened. Mom and I never found time so I'm thinking in January :(

Tam said...

HI LOVED the post and the Security Camera thing...OOOO...LOVED that story! Take care

bbmomof2boys said...

Hi! I just happened on your blog via Family is Forever. I'm jealous of your vacation!! I'm off next week, we are going to visit some friends up in the mountains for a few days, then wonderful Christmas but the following week its back to the grindstone! Ugh!!

Enjoy your time off!

Hugs,
Carla

MBKimmy said...

I am here I am alive - I miss the blog I miss reading aboout you ... I am swamped with babies and work - yuck!

Kori said...

Let me just say that I am totally GREEN. Green with envy that is that you get that much time off work.

Also I love some Diet Dr. P. It's my fave.

BBB said...

I'm so excited for your days off! Jealous too, but I'm choosing to just be happy you get them!!!

Essie's been not doing her homework.. I told her the other night she better be careful or she'll have to do 4th grade again. She said "It's not a big deal mom, I just have to pass the EOG (end of grade) tests" Thank you no child left behind... ugh

Amy said...

It will be so nice to have some time off. Although I am not lucky enough to have as much as you do.

Have a great time :D

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frizzy said...

It's so good to see you. You have been on my mind a lot lately and your son esp. Any news or have I somehow missed that? I answered the 50 questions not long ago. It was fun! Enjoy your time off my dear! Better go, Yaya's done eating.

Christine said...

Enjoy your time off!!

Lesley said...

Hey Sista!!

I loved the 50 random things so I did it on my blog too! Although, most of the 50 random things that you wrote for yourself, I knew already! haha!!

Kristin said...

Our last kid day is tomorrow. Yes! We have a workday on Friday and two right on Jan 5 and 6.

My son sounds like your Cameron. He's the "be all I can be to barely pass" kind of kid. But mom I only have to do.....nothing above and beyond. It drives me crazy.

Love the list of 50 things! Very cool! Maybe once I'm off, I'll attempt that too.

Karen said...

All right...I know I should not find humor in the security camera incident, but I caught myself laughing. I find drunks very entertaining.
I am so happy to hear about the braces. That is awsome!!
I am counting down too. Just a few more mornings of dragging kids out of bed. YAAAAHOOOOO!

Michelle said...

So glad you are going to get a break. I hope you enjoy your time off. We have been involved in neighborhood boards and you are so right about learning things about your neighbors that you might not what to! It can be entertaining. lol I also love Diet. Dr. Pepper. :)

Michelle said...

I know you're ready for the break for sure. The wonderful thing about being in the education system.

Sorry to hear about Cameron's grade. As I probably told you, we had the same issue with Caleb in reading and he is failing that class at this time. His teacher agreed to allow him to bring a text book home over the holidays and give him make up work to bring the grade up. He just wasn't doing the assignments and was being dishonest with all of us about having work to do. I think he is learning a valuable lesson or I hope so anyway. He has been grounded for about a month now. These kids will stress us at times and we just have to know how to handle it.

I know you're glad you went to that meeting. You certainly ARE making a difference in these kids lives. It takes special people like you. What a wonderful blessing about the other child who is in need of braces. I hope the family agrees to take him. To me this is what the holidays and life should be about. Making a difference.

What a stupid thing that guy did to the security camera. His sister is certainly in the wrong for enabling him like that. I hope Walter and the police mutually handle that accordingly. I hope the guy has to pay a fine for what he did. Would serve him right.

Melissa B. said...

This 50 Facts Janx is awesome! And, how stupid of that security camera smasher? Hope he gets what he deserves! Sorry about your son's grade. Sometimes it takes a few swift kicks to get back on the right track, huh?